EC 1 - FRESH Event
The FRESH event (ECEvent code 1) declares that an animal has given birth to one or more calves and has started lactating with fresh milk. The information that is required for a Fresh event (dam's pen number, calf details, ease of birth, etc.) depends on the requirements in the DairyComp 305 command used to generate the event.
See the topics below for help with this event:
- Cautions when Adding Animals to this Event
- Defining Calf Details
- What Happens When I Process Changes for this Event?
- Need Help Adding Animals to this Event?
When you add an animal to this event, the app is designed specifically to add females that are pregnant. It will not allow you to add the following types of animals:
- An animal that is not pregnant.
- A pregnant animal whose DCCDays carrying calf/pregnant is less than or greater than the configured minimum and maximum limits for a Fresh event in DC305DairyComp305 - VAS Dairy Management Software. If you receive an error message about the DCC, consider entering a PREV event instead of the FRESH event.
Likewise, the app will display a warning before allowing you to add an animal that meets any of the other conditions listed below. The app will not restrict you from adding these animals; it simply warns you of their status so that you can determine whether to continue:
- The animal has a DIMDays in milk value between 1 and the configured maximum DIM limit in DC305 for a Fresh event.
- The animal has been dry for less than the configured minimum number of days in DC305 for a Fresh event (important for drug warnings).
- The animal is less than the configured minimum age in DC305 for a Fresh event.
You can define details for up to 3 calves that were born during this Fresh event and, if necessary, enter additional details for each new calf, such as calf IDIdentifier, barn number, vaccination date, and any other information required in the event command.
Review the topics below for help defining calf details:
If you know the calf's Gender and Status, then you can select the appropriate options for both:
- You must define both options so that the app can determine whether to prompt you for additional calf details.
- If you are not prompted for more calf details after choosing the gender and status, you can tap the green Done button at the top right of the page to save your updates and return to the Fresh event. If you are prompted for additional calf details, see Enter Additional Calf Details below.
- As shown in the example below, the app displays your gender and status selections for the respective calf. Note that if you choose a status of Alive and Sold, the app displays Sold.
- For each additional calf detail, the app adds a new field below the Status field (see example to the right).
- At a minimum, a new Calf ID is required, but other details, such as pen number, vaccination date, ear tag, etc., may be required based on the event command.
- When you finish entering all of the required calf details, you can tap the green Done button at the top right of the page to save your updates and return to the Fresh event. The calf ID you entered is displayed for the calf:
You can select the Unknown option if you do not know the calf's gender and status. If you select this option, it hides all other selections, and no further input is required. You can tap the green Done button at the top right of the page to save your selection and return to the Fresh event.
DC305 then processes the following changes for each animal (dam) in the event:
- Archives the dam's current lactation record.
- Begins a new lactation cycle for the dam and creates a new lactation record for her (LACTLactation number+1).
- Records the Fresh event on the dam's new lactation record, with the EDAYEvent day as the date the event was completed in the mobile app.
- Completes automatic item updates on the dam's new lactation record, based on the information in DC305's AlterCommand entered to "alter" content or settings in DairyComp. Example: ALTER\7 > FRESH table.
- Creates 0, 1, 2, or 3 calf records, depending on the details provided for each calf. DC305 does not create a new calf record for calves that are dead or sold.
- Copies the dam's stored items to each calf, based on the FRESH table.
- Completes automatic item updates on each calf record, based on the FRESH table.
See Processing Your Changes for more information on how the mobile app, the Platform, and DairyComp 305 work together to process your changes.
See the following topics:
- Create a New Event or Edit an Existing One
- Save Time when Adding Animals in Bulk
- Details Required to Process Animals in an Event
- Remove an Animal from an Event
Last Built: March 26, 2020