Events with Protocols
Some events allow you to select a treatment protocol, such as drugs to be administered or treatments that should be applied to the animal's hooves or udder. The Platform works together with DairyComp and CowCare to include all of your dairy's configured protocols when entering these events in the mobile app.
Follow these guidelines when entering events with protocols:
- If you are entering an event that includes protocols, you will see the Protocol field as an option for each animal in the event:
- Tap the Protocol field to view the available protocols.
Note that the mobile app filters the list of protocols based on the event you are entering, as well as the type of animal you selected (heifer or adult). Some protocols are available only for heifers, some for adults, and some are available for both.
For each protocol, the app displays the corresponding Milk and Meat withholdings. It also displays the remark that will be auto-filled for this animal when you choose this protocol, as well as the pen to which animals on this protocol should be moved:
- If you select a protocol that requires you to choose which hoof or quarter of the udder is affected, the app opens a page where you can choose the quarter(s).
See the example below and complete the following steps to select the quarter(s):a
Select which quarter(s) the protocol affects. Note that the options you see on this page may vary based on how the Remark field is configured for your dairy in DairyComp:
Click here if you do not see the ALL option or if you cannot select more than 1 or 2 quarters.
- ALL - Selects all quarters
- LF - Left Front hoof or teat
- RF - Right Front hoof or teat
- LH - Left Hind hoof or teat
- RH - Right Hind hoof or teat
If you do not see the ALL option or if you cannot select more than 1 or 2 quarters, you may need to edit the configured character limit for the Remark field in DairyComp to allow more than 8 characters.How do my options here relate to my dairy's Remark configuration in DairyComp? Tell me more!
- Each of the quarters you select for the protocol will be displayed in the event's Remark field.
- If DairyComp is configured to limit the Remark field to 8 characters, the system will only allow you to select as many quarters as can be displayed in 8 characters or less.
- For example, the QQ in the protocol's Remark field below shows where the code for the affected quarter(s) will be displayed in the event's Remark field (e.g. LF is the code for Left Front, RF is the code for Right Front, etc.):
- If you select the protocol in this example, it will enter a remark of QQSPC for the event. The quarters you select will use 2 characters each, and SPC will use 3 characters. If the Remark field is limited to 8 characters in DairyComp, then you can only select up to 2 quarters for this protocol because it will result in a 7-character remark, such as LFRFSPC:
- Continuing with this example, you cannot select a 3rd or 4th quarter because it would require that the Remark field allow more characters to fit the additional 2‑character quarter codes (LH and RH). Therefore, the quarter selection page will not display the ALL option, nor will it allow you to select more than 2 quarters. It would look like the following example:
If any of your protocols need to allow for more quarter selections, be sure to update the DairyComp Remark field configuration to allow more characters. Once you update the configuration, you should then see the ALL quarters option and be able to select more than 1 or 2 quarters for your protocols in the mobile app.b
After you select the quarter(s), tap the Continue button at the bottom of the page.
After you tap Continue, the app returns you to the event page, where you will see the following updates:
- The event Protocol field displays your chosen protocol.
- The Remark field is auto-populated based on the protocol you selected. You can edit the remark further after the app inserts it.
- If the protocol you selected defined a Go To Pen number, the app automatically inserts that pen number in the event's Pen field. In this case, you cannot edit the new pen assignment for this animal because the protocol defines the required pen.
To learn more about a specific protocol, you can log into the web version of the Platform and view the Treatment Protocols list.
Last Built: January 23, 2020