Projected Calves by Sire & Semen Type for All Dairies
The Projected Calves by Sire & Semen Type
Reference the following to understand the data in this widget:
- Sexed: Semen that has been analyzed and sorted based on the X/Y chromosome in the individual sperm cells. For dairy cows, this type of semen has mostly X-chromosome sperm cells to increase the likelihood of producing heifer calves.
90% of calves conceived with sexed semen are expected to be heifers, and are included in the projected number of Replacement Heifers.
- Unsexed: Semen that has not been sorted based on the X/Y chromosome in the sperm cells.
45% of calves conceived with unsexed semen are expected to be heifers, and are included in the projected number of Replacement Heifers.
- Unknown: Semen for which the bull NAABNational Association of Animal Breeders. www.naab-css.org code was not specified.
VAS recommends using the NAAB code whenever possible for more robust data analysis, including improved Replacement Heifer projections. 45% of calves conceived with unknown semen are expected to be heifers, and are included in the projected number of Replacement Heifers.
- Beef: Semen produced by a beef bull. Beef semen is a lower-cost option and may provide additional advantages, including improved conception rates and lower calf birth weight for calving ease. Heifer and bull calves with a beef sire are designated for beef production
and are not included in the projected number of Replacement Heifers.
Replacement Heifers: Identifies the expected number of heifer calves to be added to the herd for milk production. This count includes calves conceived with sexed, unsexed, and unknown semen.
This value is a calculation that incorporates the much higher chance of conceiving heifer calves using sexed semen. The calculation is:
Replacement Heifers = (sexed semen calves * 0.90) + (unsexed semen calves * 0.45) + (unknown semen calves * 0.45)
- For instance, if you are projected to have 18 sexed calves, 231 unsexed calves, and 8 unknown calves, the Replacement Heifers calculation is: (18 * 0.90 = 16) + (231 * 0.45 = 104) + (8 * 0.45 = 4) = 124
Calves with beef sires are not included in this calculation.
Last Built: December 04, 2019